Now it happend to me: ruptured main brake line

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Sat Jul 17 2010 - 17:07:51 EDT

I've read about this happening to OTHERS - now I guess it's my turn. The
east coast climate, coupled with the local government's obsession with
spreading salt on winter roads covered w/ 2" of snow, have become my doom.
The main trunk leading to the rears sprung a pinhole leak about a foot
behind the forward terminal block. Painstakingly (and I do mean
painstakingly) I removed the line, albeit in 3 pieces. I measured 0.185" on
the best part at the front end. I'm guessing this is 3/16"/4.75mm brake
line, CNF-3 ?? The nut was 12mm.

Now to do the replacement.

The trunk, laid out on the driveway, is about 10'; if I had a length about
10'4", I think I could make it. I plan on getting a length about 12' so
that I'm sure it'd be long enough and so that I can form an expansion loop
for chassis movement. A nice site for such is:
http://store.fedhillusa.com/

They offer nice copper/nickel lines; I found this for $33: CNF-3A -
3/16"/4.75mm OD tubing X 12 foot coil

I could reuse my old fitting nuts. I'd have to flare the ends; I'm guessing
"Double/SAE 45 Degree Flare" is the one.

Though I' never be able to retrace the jagged contour of the original line
(would never even try), I'd of course take precautions to fasten the new
line to the chassis as best as I can, everywhere I can.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

What a pain - I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy!

Tom

'97 Dakota Sport
3.9L V6/2WD