Re: Now it happend to me: ruptured main brake line

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2010 - 10:24:29 EDT

problem as I was rolling out of my driveway.

Having gotten into this a bit, I now address one of my own questions re:
flare type.

For the Dakota brake lines, they do NOT use the standard OEM double flare
(as I presumed) but rather, the rarer ISO Bubble flare (aka Girling flare,
common on British cars), backed up with a 12mm male swivel nut. These
flares are considered metric (4.45mm for the Dakota). Bubble flaring tools
are also "rare" but can be found variously for about $20 (not sure of the
difference between these models):

ATD 4564($22):
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-ATD-5464-Bubble-Flaring/dp/B000M61VE6
OTC4504 ($19):
http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4504.aspx?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=OTC4504&utm_campaign=pricegrabber_r1

Alternatively, I have read that the bubble flare can be produced as follows:

If you have a standard 45 degree double flaring tool, the bubble flare is
what results after the first half of the operation. Simply stop there, and
you have the bubble flare which will seat nicely at the bottom of the hole.
(If you continue, inverting the form tool and finishing the job, you then
have the more familiar double flare.) <== Does anybody know if this is true
???

Finally, I bought 25' of CuNi allow line from AutoZone ($45). More than I
need for this job but anticipating the other line segments to go South
(eventually). I also plan to insert my main line (for the rear wheels) in
Tygon tubing for extra protection it against corrosive agents from the
roadway.