safe to drive with missing shock bolt?

From: jherrman@zoominternet.net
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 18:52:58 EDT

I have a new set of Pro-comp ES-9000 shocks on my 2003 Dak, which were
installed a few weeks ago and have about 800 miles on them. I had a
garage install the front shocks (I did the rear) with new OEM bolts
from the dealer. I left town today for a long roadtrip, and after a
bad bump on the road got a loud noise in front. I immediately got it
to a garage (lucky to find one open at 5:30pm) who confirmed what I
could see, that the lower bolt on the front driver's side shock backed
completely out and is gone. They started to put in a new one and
discovered that the threads are completely stripped (I think a nasty
letter to the garage who did the work at home is in order..., or could
that have happened somehow from the 800 miles of driving since they
did the install?). They got a bolt in loosely and said to keep an eye
on it to see if it needs tightening until I can get it to a machine
shop to re-drill the threads. That replacement bolt lasted five miles
and now I'm in a hotel for the night as I try to decide whether to
have the work done here (anybody know a shop in Stroudsburg PA?), or
to go 100 miles where I have a rushed stop to make, or go 400 miles
for a long stop where I'll have plenty of time to take care of
this. So... is it safe to drive 100 or 400 miles (of east coast
traffic, from NJ to Boston) with no lower bolt in the front right
shock? Or am I advised to stay put until I can this properly fixed?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Jud Herrman