Re: safe to drive with missing shock bolt?

From: Robert Smith (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 07:55:48 EDT

I was one of those unfortunates who kept breaking a left front lower shock
bolt with ProComp shocks.
The last one broke off about 1/4" in the lower support & I hadda drill it
out.
It was in such an awkward spot the I couldn't keep the drill properly
aligned &
I buggered up the threads to the point that I hadda drill the hole oversize
& use a Helicoil Insert.
If you look at the lower end of the shock, it "nests" in the lower arm in a
small pocket in the forging.
With the weight of the vehicle on it, I don't think there's an issue driving
on smooth roads,
cuz the shock can't go anywhere...
I probably drove a hundred miles BEFORE I figgered out where thefront
end"clunk" was coming from.
HTH...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5Speed
2K08 HD Softail Cross Bones - Not Yellow!