Extang covers

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 16:49:11 EST

Has anyone on the list tried to warranty replace an extang cover?

After owning mine for 9 years it looks pretty bad. I called them up and they
told me it would be replaced if they determined I hadn't used any sort of
petroleum based product on it. Since I don't use car washes and haven't ever
used anything but their product I was confident there wouldn't be any
problem. Boy was I wrong.

My warranty claim was denied based on a visual assessment that determined I
had voided my warranty by using product other than their "tonno tonic" on
it. They "put tons of covers on the factory roof and after many years they
all look new so you had to have done something to it." I was informed that
if the cover loses its lustre, if the underside becomes discolored, it
cracks, shrinks, or tears in any way its caused by use of a petroleum
substance. They are blaming car wash soap on the shrinking and cracking
problems I had. According to them "most car wash soaps have petroleum in
them as clear coat conditioners and their use will cause the problems found
with your cover."

I am planning to check the ingredient list on the soap I use tonight,
although by their admission there is nothing I can do to change their
assessment. The best they could do was offer me adiscounted $69 replacement
tarp. It sucks that even though I tried to do everything the right way I
ended up getting burned in the end. So if anyone else on the list has an
extang cover you may want to double check your carwash soap, it could void
your tonneau cover warranty.

/rant

- Josh