Re: Extang covers

From: Josh Battles (cletusjones@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2010 - 14:33:36 EST

On Dec 18, 2010 1:23 PM, "Gary Hedlin" <superdak@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think its legal for them to require you to use their protectant to
keep it in warranty. It would be like Chrysler to require use of a Mopar
oil filter in order to keep your warranty. I think you need to call them
again, ask them what testing they did to determine the presence of a
petroleum based protectant, ask for the results, and ask for a copy of the
warranty for that model... At the time you bought the cover. If you ask for
these items, it might send a message that you're not going to accept their
cost-cutting BS, and you're going to put up a fight.

> Gary Hedlin

I have the original copy of the warranty they gave me with the cover. I'll
have to read it again.

As far as determining that I used petroleum product, it's done by visual
inspection only. I was told that none of the damage / wear on my cover; ie:
shrinkage (i was in the pool), discoloration of the underside, cracking, and
fading of the black vinyl surface would occur if the cover wasn't exposed to
petroleum based product. They even went so far as to tell me that all
carwash soap has petroleum in it as clearcoat conditioner. Based on that
statement alone, pretty much every cover would have the warranty voided
practically immediately.

I'm hoping the BBB claim will get some action on their part. IMO you can't
claim something specific was done without testing of some kind. Perhaps a
defect caused the wear issues and if they categorically deny based on a
visual inspection only there's no way to identify anything with any
certainty.

- Josh