Ram brand (was: Dodge Ram on Craigs)

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 14:04:41 EST

On Mon, February 14, 2011 2:45 am, TerribleTom wrote:

> I am, however, highly encouraged to see the Ram Tradesman moniker dusted
> off and put to use again. If you don't know what I'm talking about -
> check out allpar.com - they did a write up on it. Dodge (yes Dodge, not
> freaking "Ram") Dodge unveiled a Tradesman package,

Speaking of which, I wonder how long it's going to be before Chrysler's
new overlords realize that not one single person out in the real world
thinks of these trucks as anything other than Dodges. There are three
brands of domestic trucks: Dodge, Ford and Chevy. That's the way it is,
that's the way it's been for a long time, and that's the way it will
continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Why is it that marketing people have such a difficult time understanding
how one brand can sell both cars and trucks? They tried something similar
in Canada several years ago... the Dodge brand in Canada was only supposed
to be for trucks and utility vehicles like vans and station wagons. The
Neon and Intrepid were sold as Chryslers, there was no Stratus (they just
told people to get a Sebring instead) and Viper became its own brand up
here. They finally gave up on that idea when the styling on the Neon
changed, and the Charger was coming down the pipe. They finally realized
those never would have worked as Chryslers. Duh.

Seems to me that if they're determined to run the truck division
separately from the car division (which I suppose makes business sense)
then there's no reason they can't just be called "Dodge trucks" and "Dodge
cars".

(Apart from that, I should probably clarify that I do think that the new
overlords are doing a pretty good job. Certainly better than the last two
overlords.)