Re: EGR

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun May 08 2011 - 21:22:42 EDT

Jamie C <jamie12ga@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm rebuilding a '96 318 and installing an M1 intake I got just about for
> free. Right now the M1 has the EGR blocked. What are the pro/cons of just
> blocking the egr port on the exhaust manifold and getting rid of the tank
> and associated lines. I know I would have to keep the electrical part
> hooked up so it doesn't throw a code. We don't have inspections in FL.
> Would this negatively affect gas mileage?
> Don't the later 3.9's, 5.2's and 5.9'd do away with egr?

    Yes, as others have mentioned, the EGR was eliminated with the
OBD-II trucks in 1996. I noticed a post saying that someone has a
1996 OBD-II with EGR, this would surprise me, but I suppose anything
is possible?

    The purpose of the EGR is to dump exhaust gas into your intake
manifold to reduce engine temps and certain emissions. A side effect
of a cooler running engine is some ping/detonation resistance, but I
doubt you'd notice anything, and even if it were a problem, a 180
degree thermostat should more than compensate.

    I have heard that the computer may run a test where it manipulates
the EGR valve and monitors the O2 sensor for a corresponding change,
but I don't know if that is the case or not. I believe a bunch of
folks on the DML have blocked off their EGRs over the years, and IIRC,
everything seems to be fine as long as the electrical part is left
plugged in. I don't believe it will affect your gas mileage one way
or the other, unless the EGR is faulty in which case removing it may
actually improve your fuel economy.

    You might want to try a search of the DML archives, there's a lot
to sift through, but there might be some helpful info there.
(http://archives.dakota-truck.net/ scroll down to bottom of page)

--
                                          -Jon-