Re: Which base to build on?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 23:40:50 EDT

One thing that comes to mind is most of your power from the 4.7 is
probably going to come in higher in the RPM range than for a 318 and
especially the 360, which would give you better off-idle and low end
torque. So maybe the 360 would be better on the rocks? If the desert
racing part is such that you can basically plant the throttle then
maybe the high winding 4.7 would have an advantage but if you are
going to be have to slow down and then accelerate a lot, perhaps the
torque advantage of the 360 would be the way to go?

Just throwing some ideas out there - I don't really know enough about
the motors or the type of racing you will be doing to give a definite
answer, but maybe it will spark some opinions from more knowledgeable
folks.

I also haven't really done a real world back to back comparison on the
two motors either. I do recall though that when John Burgan traded
his '96 318 in on a GenIII with the 4.7, he was really dissapointed
with the lack of low-end grunt.

Another thing you might want to check on is relative cost of parts
(both upgrades and stock replacements) for both motors. I'd expect
the 4.7 parts to cost more, but then again it has been out for over a
decade now whereas the 318/360 is basically discontinued, so maybe
that has shifted?

--
                                          -Jon-