Re: RE: Lift

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 21 2012 - 13:16:32 EDT

> Sounds scary to me. I'm still scared to walk under it while it's in the
> air, and it has two posts with a tiebar on the top of the posts, and a
> bunch of huge studs with monster nuts shot down through 4" of concrete per
> side. Plus he made sure to have them pour the concrete in such a way that
> each post would be in the middle of a section of poured slab so it wouldn't
> be weakened by being near the edge.
[...]
> Just as well I trust steel more than aluminum when it has several thousand
> pounds resting on it.

If I am going to have a vehicle up on the lift for more than a few
minutes or if I'm going to be hammering on it or putting some torque
on fasteners, I have four safety stands that I put under the vehicle.
I put one at each corner of the vehicle - they take part of the weight
and make the vehicle rock solid. Each stand can support 4,000lbs so
there is a pretty high safety margin, considering my lift itself is
rated for 9,000lbs.

I got 'em from Harbor Freight - the price isn't too bad considering
the peace of mind they provide:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-underhoist-safety-stand-41860.html

--
                                          -Jon-