What is a R/T Dakota (was Re: Hello All!)

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 19 1995 - 12:25:39 EST

On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Jon N. Steiger wrote:

> >Jon,
> >
> >>Sounds nice! :-) (Should be interesting to see what the R/T conversion
> >>will do for it...)
> >
> >Pardon my ignorance, but what is an R/T conversion? I'm an avid drag
> >racer and I keep thinking "reaction time" <G> Could someone clear
   I really should use the more proper Magnum R/T package name as the Dakota
did not come from the factory as an R/T, but I would have ordered it if
they had.
> I'm not exactly sure what is required for the R/T conversion... Perhaps
> Bill could fill us in?
Sure, you bet! A Magnum R/T conversion consists of:
1) A Magnum Engine Controller (SBEC)
2) Performance exhaust
3) Low restriction air filter (K&N)
4) Magnum V-8 Camshaft kit
5) Performance headers
I have done everything except #4 (for lack of cash).
MP Engineers achived between 2-3 seconds quicker 0-60 times with improved
gas mileage and an increase of bout 45-50 HP and about 50 ft/lbs of
torque. All of this is C.A.R.B. approved! You can have Dodge put it in
for you!
> R/T though is a standard Dodge term meaning Road and Track. (They
> ususally bagde the sporty version of a line with the R/T designation.
> (ex... Dodge Stealth R/T, R/T Turbo, Spirit R/T, and so on...)
>

> >this up for me? I haven't had the opportunity to go pricing any new
> >Dakota Sports yet -- what should I be looking to pay? TIA!
>
> I'm not sure about this one either... I didn't price the sports... Of
> course, a lot of it depends on what configurations and such you are looking
> I don't know where they start, but you can get into the low to mid twenties
> if you pile on the options.
Check your options list, see what your dealer can get for you. My Dakota
was ordered from the factory with the sport package for $13,000.

Cheers!

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu