Re: Performance Mods?

From: Mel Lester Jr. (meljr@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 1995 - 06:31:09 EST

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995 Kenmosher@aol.com wrote:

> I'm new to this list and if this has been discussed before, forgive me and
> point me to the FAQ! Anyway, I own a '95 4WD SLT Extended cab with the 318
> V8. I love the truck!

Hi, Ken
I own an '89 Shelby Dakota that used to have one of the LA style (pre
Magnum, post Poly) 318's, but it's been replaced with a race-only rebuilt
'72 360 with an ATI 904 race tranny, 8" converter and trans-brake. I also
have a '95 2WD Extended cab RAM (full size) 1500, which I tow with and
bracket race in the street class. The RAM has turned a best time of
15.77 (on the brakes!) and consitently runs a tick under 85MPH. In fact,
I won the last race run in division 6 this year with it and had to go the
last five rounds against full-electronics Super Pro cars to get the job
done.

The Dakota ran 16.65 stock and was consistent as all get out, but mid 16's
were just too slow for me. I am still working out the electrical system
after the engine swap (last year I worked less than a mile from the
Shelby Skunk works in Gardena, CA), but the Dakota should run low 12's.

> Has anyone found a cat back exhaust system for these trucks? How 'bout
> headers? I think the 4WD must complicate exhaust pipe routing, since I
> haven't found anything except for V6 trucks.

I am writing this from work (It's 3:00AM here in Portland, OR) and I
don't have my Mopar Performance stuff here to refer to, but I thought
they had a complete exhaust system from headers to tail pipe available
for your truck. I ordered them from the Dealer when I got my truck, but
maybe there is some problem with the 4WD Dakota part numbers. I'll check
it out today and get back to you. By the way, the headers are sourced
from Doug Thorley and a buddy of mine with a '92 2WD Dakota saved a few
bucks by buying his direct. I believe Borla has a low restriction cat
back exhaust as well, although the Mopar Performance one is made by
someone else.

> Any other tricks or tips to up the output a bit? I use the truck to commute
> daily and to pull a car trailer occaisonally (when I don't drive the GN to
> the track 'cause I'm too lazy to swap the slicks and street tires).

The best bang for the buck is the Mopar Performance computer at about
$250. They offer a core credit of $100 for your old box, but you'll want
to keep it as a spare or for towing. The ignition advance is so
agressive, that even with good 92 octane pump gas (I use unleaded av gas
at about $1.50/gal in 55 gal drums), it knocks severely. It only takes
15 minutes to swap out the computer (just about the time it takes to swap
from street tires to slicks). You might get better gas mileage. Mine
improved about 2MPG on the street, but the real benefit came with the 1/2
second reduction in ET! Not a bad deal for $250.

> '87 GN: Stock appearing, 3660 lbs with driver, 11.21@121.5 thru the full
> exhaust
> '95 Dakota: extended cab, 4WD, V8, blue and silver
> '93 Buick Regal GS: Blue, grey leather, 3800 V^

I started out racing my Shelby Dakota stock and also raced an '89
Chrysler TC with slick and a bunch of Mopar Performance stuff for the
Turbo II. A group of Buick turbo racers at SIR kind of adopted me and I
ended up going three rounds at the division 6 finals with it last year.
I have a lot of respect for the Buick turbo six engine, but GM really screws
those guys whenever they have to buy something.

meljr@teleport.COM Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)