RE: Edmunds

From: Gary Gellert (ggellert@junction.net)
Date: Thu Dec 21 1995 - 22:36:29 EST

On 21 Dec 1995 Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com wrote:

> From: stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Wed, Dec 20, 1995 7:38 PM
>
> >>The following is from Edmund's online used car buying guide:
> >> Dodge Dakota (1989-1994)
> >> Officially classified a mid-size truck, the .....
>
> >> "only adequate with the gas-guzzling V8"?!?
> >> "worse with the V6"?!?
> >> "performance shortcomings"?!?
>
> > I admit, the V6+Automatic combo was sluggish, but the manual moved
> >it right along...
>
> > I wonder what the editors were on when they wrote this review?
>
> I have a 89 V6/Auto Dakota 4x4 this is the TBI version which is rated (I
> believe) at 125HP. This vehicle is by no means a road rocket but I have never
> felt that I am under powered, it gets up to road speeds just fine and will
> cruise on the highway comfortabely at 80mph. I do not use the truck to tow or
> haul heavy loads and I never expected it to be a sports car (I have my Daytona
> Shelby for that).

Not trying to pick, but I had an 89 Dakota Sport 4x4 with the Automatic,
and the V6, and personally, I thought it was way underpowered. I'd have
my toolbox on the back, and the added weight (150 or so pounds) made the
truck feel awful sluggish to me. Fortunately for me, I totaled it, so
the insurance bought me my 92' Dakota.

> I would rate the V6 adequate and the V8 more than adequate. I have not driven a
> 4cyl.

I have driven the 4 cyl, (I took one for a testdrive before I bought my
'89), and it was pathetic. I don't know why ChryCo even offered a 4
cylinder engine.