Dakota 4x4 Question and Intro

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Tue Dec 05 1995 - 18:12:56 EST

To let those of you that are not on MML my name is Dave Clement and I am an
engineer at Motorola in Mansfield MA. I have had a number of CC cars and trucks
over the years but just last week had a chance to buy an 89 Dakota LE 4x4 with
the 3.9l v6. The truck is loaded; Auto, A/C, P/S, P/W. P/L, Infinity 1, bed
liner, Aluminum Wheels, ABS, etc . A friend of mine was offered $3000.00 on a
trade for a Stratus and he offered me the truck for what the dealer offered. I
had been looking for a third vehicle so my Shelby Daytona would not need to be
driven in bad weather and the Dakota was perfect.

Well my Dakota has it's first problem. I got a chance to put the 4x4 to work for
the first time on the beach last Friday and noticed that the right front CV
joint is bad. I get some poping and crunching with the wheel at full lock
(either right or left).

When I got under the truck I noticed the boot had a good sized cut in the bottom
of one of the convolutions (CV likely full of crud) I did not notice when I
checked it out.

My question is does anyone know of a good source for CV joints or rebuilt axle
assemblies, either mail order or in the Boston area. I have called around and
the best price I have found to date are $176.00 for a new CV and boot kit or
$232.28 for a reconditioned axle assembly.

Also, any tips or hints on replacing the CVs. It looks straight forward.

Otherwise I love the truck but I am having a hard time getting it away from my
wife.

Dave Clement
89 Shelby Daytona
89 Dakota LE 4x4