Re: New list-lurker, potential Dakota buyer...

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 01 1996 - 00:11:52 EST

In a message dated 96-01-31 19:33:55 EST, ttempel@monmouth.com (george (ty)
tempel) writes:

>I'm looking for 2WD vs 4WD vs ClubCab (my preference), and combinations
>thereof, along with what would be decent prices, or if you don't mind what
>_you_ paid for your recent Dakotas.

My 95 Dakota which listed at $17,010, purchased in Chicago suburb ran me
$15,200 and was special-order equipped thusly:

Bright white, Club Cab, Sport, 318 V8, 5 speed, 3.55 rear, chrome wheels, 22
gal. tank, abs rear only, 215/75 r15 Goodyear Invicta GL's , p/s, p/b, p/w,
p/l, overhead console (electronic compass and thermometer, 2 map lights,
sunglasses compartment, and garage door opener compartment), auto dim
rearview mirror, a/c, premium cloth split bench (somewhere between buckets
and bench), AM/FM cassette, tach, floormats, extra lights (under hood and in
cab), and dealer installed OEM bedliner.

What I didn't order and why:
4wd - wanted a street machine
4wheel abs - I can brake fine on my own, thank you
auto trans - no fun, too many potential problems
cruise - this is not my father's Oldsmobile
tilt - (see above)
rear slider - way too easy to break in through; I know, I used to fix 'em!
chrome pkg - replaced the back bumper w/a roll pan, painted front to match
body
fog lights - put a low aftermarket air dam on myself; it came w/fog
lights
tow pkg - not doing any towing

Personal experiences:
problem: starter wire shorted against exhaust manifold
solution: Chrysler roadside assistance picked it up right quick, fixed next
morning

problem: trans made "rattling" sound when in neutral and foot off clutch
solution: dealer ordered new throw out bearing, replaced problem bearing

problem: left fog lights on all day, killed little battery
solution: kicked self in butt, Chrysler roadside jumped it for free (battery,
not butt)

problem: battery leaked, corroded battery pan
solution: dealer replaced pan, installed 60 month heavy-duty battery

problem: OEM bed liner is wearing off paint on bed floor and wheel tubs
solution: selling the piece of crap and getting a spray-in liner

As far as reliability goes, I've changed the oil every 2500-3000 miles and
replaced the stock air filter with an open 14x3 K&N filter and I have had
absolutely no trouble after 23,000 miles. I've made numerous modifications,
body and suspension-wise, and I have been able to do most everything myself,
thanks to a user-friendly vehicle. Any other questions?

Whew! I think that's it! Good luck!