RE: CD Player Input on Cassette Radio ...

From: Tim Schneider (tims@Synopsys.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 01 1996 - 11:02:22 EST

** DHartmann@bangate.compaq.com writes: **
> Does anyone know if any/all of the am/fm stereo-cassette
> radio options for the '96 Dakotas have inputs that could
> come from a portable CD player ?

I would go for the cassette connection option. I added a
"plug-in" system to an 88 gm pickup. This was more of a
pain, as I didn't have a cassette player, just an am/fm stereo.

However, GM puts one Delco radio up under the dash, with the
'controller' unit mounted remotely. This is connected with an
umbilical style cord to the radio, way up under the dash.

(What a pain) To add a CD player input to this radio I had to
go pull the service manuals (down at the library) from microfilm and
run down a wiring diagram and wiring harness part number. Then
headed down to a local Delco radio shop, where I purchased the
add'l wiring harness for about $5.00 The Delco radio had audio
in capabilities, however, there was a radio defeat line that had to
have 3.5v (Dc) logic level "1" applied. IN this mode the CD player
could essentially play through the radio's amplifier. I pulled out the
ash tray box, and mounted some RCA jacks for audio in and another
switch for radio defeat. I powered the CD player from the cig lighter
with no ill effects. (might depend upon your power supply) Mine was
a simpe Radio Smack multi-voltage jobber. I bought all the components
and a perf board to build my own power supply, and voltage reg circuits
(in order to do away with the Radio Smack supply) but never got around
to it.

It appears to me that Dodge gave us a much better way out than
GM.. I hated the way they designed that stupid radio, with the controller
thingy in the dash, the CD or cassette player stuffed over in the center
of the dash.. (can you say human factors?) and the 'real' radio way
up under the dash. At least we can get aftermkt units to pretty much
go right in the Dak's dash.

for what it's worth.

 -tim

                                 tims@synopsys.com