RE: MP Computer for 5.2L

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 16:00:20 EST

> >From: DFuller288
> >Subject: MP Computer for 5.2L
>
> >Does anyone have experience with the MP performance computer available for
> >the 5.2L V8. I know the item states premium fuel is a must. But what
> other
> >changes can I expect. Is the power increase worth the cost? How is gas
> >mileage effected better, worse, or same? Any other problems - starting,
> >idling, part throttle response?
> >I'm considering this add on, and want to know of any problems or
> >improvements to expect. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks.
>
> I, too am considering the MP computer, and possibly even the MP headers and
> catback exhaust for my Dakota. Is anyone with a newer (still in warranty)
> Dakota running any or all of these performance parts and do they affect the
> warranty at all?? How easy is it to swap the computer (I haven't checked my
> FSM for the location)?? Thanks.
Hi All,
        I have had the MP computer on my Dakota since November 1994. This
upgrade was the easiest (3 mounting bolts on the passenger side fender
well and one more holds the multipin plug on the module replacement time
10 min!) and the most noticeable. The low end is not affected, but the
power comes on above 3000 rpm. The limiter is pushed to 5700 but I stick
to the lower red line of 4800 so it'll live longer. There is a drop in
power in the midrange at about 3500 which is slightly corrected by the
computer but the header/exhaust really eliminates it. The header,
exhaust system coupled with the MP computer really wakes up the 318 and
the power above 3000 just keeps on building. I had a problem before due
to the low first gear (which was changed in 1995) and the power drop off
at 3500. That was the place where I had to shift to get into the power
band of 2nd gear. With these three changes, I no longer have trouble with
this transition.
        I have a problem during the winter months with the oxengenated
fuel with pinging during warm up, richening up of the fuel mixture (I
have my yearly inspection in July to avoid problems in passing the smog
test. Fuel economy is about the same-maybe 1 MPG less.

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu