Re: Gas Guage -> Computer/engine trouble.

From: Paul Caskey (pcaskey@swcp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 00:31:33 EST

On Sun, 25 Feb 96 16:28:39 EST,
stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu (Jon N. Steiger) said:

Jon> I was driving home today when the engine started to falter and
Jon> the "CHECK ENGINE" light started to flash. I pulled over, put the
Jon> spare 3 gallons into the tank and started up the truck. The engine
Jon> ran a little rough but then smoothed out as the gas flow returned.
Jon>
Jon> [...]
Jon>
Jon> My battery and computer have *not* been recently disconnected
Jon> (though I did give my brother a couple of jump starts). As far as
Jon> the 43 codes go, I don't understand what any of them mean (besides
Jon> Cylinder misfire).
Jon>
Jon> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Can running
Jon> out of gas have caused all of these problems?

This is something I recently learned. Coming from a background of
carbeurator tweaking on an old Mustang, this was shocking news, to me.

Running out of gas in a fuel-injected car is a bad thing. I won't
pretend to know why. But my wife and I both have trucks with
fuel-injected engines, and were both warned by the dealers (and the
owner's manuals) to not let the engine run totally out of gas. We've
been paranoid, ever since.

I'm sure that's what you've run into. What I've heard is that if you
let it go totally dry, you may not be able to start it, again -- it
halts until the dealer does some magic to prime the fuel system. That's
all I know. It sounds like you're running fine but the dealer will
still have to clear the warning light.

Paul Caskey mailto:pcaskey@swcp.com http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey
"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
                                                       --Henry Kissinger