RE: Tonneau Covers

From: CSiano@banyan.com
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 07:18:02 EST

In message Fri, 23 Feb 96 13:08:08 EST,
  <jpc@philabs.research.philips.com> writes:

> I've had my 1995 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 for about a year now, and it's time
> to add a tonneau cover. Does anyone have any input as to which
> manufacturers I should look at (and which to avoid)? I definately want
> one which uses the aluminum rail system to clamp it to the bed, rather
> than the Velcro type. A quick net search came up with the names Safari
> (Tek Sport?) and Covercraft. Any pricing information would be
> appreciated as well.
> -JPC

I added the Extang Tonno II to my 6.5' bed shortly after I bought the
truck. This cover uses a removable aluminum rail that bolts to the bed.
All Contact points are covered with a padded material, so damage is
prevented. Three bows support the cover, and there are three positions for
the bows, so you can have the cover set at three different levels. I have
almost always run the top level for mileage reasons. The cover is attached
via a continuous channel along each edge. More secure than velcro, and
much easer to fasten and remove.

The cover has been on almost two years now. It has survived several off
road trips, two years of the local car wash, many on/off cycles. I had
over a foot of wet snow on it this season, and although one bow had
inverted, it returned to its proper position as soon as the snow was
cleared. The cover has never leaked water. The only water that enters my
bed get in from the gap at the top of the tailgate when the high pressure
spray of the car wash hits it.

I don't have a single bad thing to say about the cover. I wipe it down
with a little Armor All every once in a while, snow and ice come off as
easy as from a teflon pan. In fact, clearing off the bed usually takes
less time than the hood. When I removed the rails last summer to get the
bed Rhino coated, the only way you could tell the rails was on there was a
slight loss of gloss in the paint. I suspect that if I had simply used a
good wax, there would have been no sign.

Removal and refastening in the winter is easier than with most other covers
I've seen. Cold shrinks the fabric top, so many become a chore to stretch
back into place. With the Extang, I was able to just lower the bows to the
bottom position and reattach. Then, once the cover was in place, I waited
for a sunny day to warm the cover and then unsealed the sides and lifted
the bows back up.

The top was about $180 from my local speed shop with tax. Its a bit higher
than the others I had to choose from, but it was worth the price.

Christopher Siano | "How do you control this thing?"
CSiano@Banyan.com | "Who Cares, Go FASTER!"