RE: Gas Guage -> Computer/engine trouble.

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Feb 26 1996 - 07:35:50 EST

From: stei0302@penny.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET on Sun, Feb 25, 1996 4:47 PM

> OK, so I found out that I don't have a low fuel light. Mission
>accomplished. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be all I accomplished.
>The "CHECK ENGINE" light was on. I shut down and started up the truck a
>few times, but it stayed on. I drove home (after stopping at a gas station
>to (almost) fill the tank). I checked the codes, and I am getting
>12, 43, 43, 43, 55. According to the Chrysler FAQ, this means:

> 12: Battery or computer recently disconnected
> 43: Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time
> OR
> Cylinder misfire
> OR
> Problem in power module to logic module interface
> 55: (End of codes)
>
> My battery and computer have *not* been recently disconnected (though
>I did give my brother a couple of jump starts). As far as the 43 codes
>go, I don't understand what any of them mean (besides Cylinder misfire).

> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Can running out
>of gas have caused all of these problems?

I am approaching an accumluated 400,000 miles on CC computer controlled fuel
injected cars and can tell you that codes that do not make sense will show up
from time to time. The 43 code makes sense for having almost run out of gas, the
12 code does not unless your battery voltage was pulled way down when jumping
your brothers car.

I suggest that you disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset the
computer. You will get the 12 code again but it will clear itself after about 20
ignition cycles, the check engine light should go out.

Dave Clement