Ram air system

From: BAC0813@ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Date: Mon Apr 08 1996 - 16:53:36 EDT

I was looking under the hood of my 91 dakota V-8 and noticed that the air
intake tube goes right down to the grill, but has a cover in front of the
entrance for the tube. I am sure the cover is there to keep out water while it
is raining or when four wheeling, but it results in a fairly small opening for
the air intake. I was thinking of making a butterfly valve, that I could
electronically open or close. So if it was dry I could open the butterfly
valve and have a ram air set-up, and if was raining the valve could be closed
so the air intake would be like the factory entrance. Has anyone tried making
any ram air intakes?

From advice of this club, I installed a K+N air filter and have a noticable
increase in power and the mileage went up from 14mpg to 15mpg. Well worth the
$35 for the filter!

Brent Cring
91 dakota 4x4