Re: Ram air system

From: DR. Rosenpenis (jstamour@av8r.dwc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 08 1996 - 19:35:18 EDT

> I was looking under the hood of my 91 dakota V-8 and noticed that the air
> intake tube goes right down to the grill, but has a cover in front of the
> entrance for the tube. I am sure the cover is there to keep out water while it
> is raining or when four wheeling, but it results in a fairly small opening for
> the air intake. I was thinking of making a butterfly valve, that I could
> electronically open or close. So if it was dry I could open the butterfly
> valve and have a ram air set-up, and if was raining the valve could be closed
> so the air intake would be like the factory entrance. Has anyone tried making
> any ram air intakes?

My Advice is don't bother.. I tried it and have noticed two things.. It
Doesn't give you any advantage in power.. On the highway you will notice
a fux in ammouunt of throttle needed on straight flat roads.. The Other
thing is that all it does is get my K&N dirty Faster

Once the weather gets warmer I am going to put the baffle back on..

If you decide that you want to go ahead and do this anyway, don't bother
manufacturing an electronic valve to open and shut it.. It seems to be
too far to travel for the rain to effect..