Re: Alarms, etc.

From: James Landess (landess@svpal.org)
Date: Tue Apr 16 1996 - 22:25:36 EDT

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Ned Vogler wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> Just had an alarm installed in my Dakota this week, I've got the
> garden-variety passive audible alarm (made by the same folks who bring you
>[...]
> They did a very professional job installing the alarm, however, the only
> problem I've noticed so far is that when they screwed the horn for the siren
> to the fender inside the hood, the screws came thru inside the wheelwell! !
> D'oh! Wanted to ask the list for any ideas about whether it was OK to
> grind off the offending screw tips, or can I fashion some kind of a foam
> rubber cover for them, or should I just round the sharp ends off?? They
> can't be seen unless you poke your head inside the wheelwell and look
> directly up, but I'm concerned about the very rare possibility of the tire
> hitting them on a LARGE bump (highly unlikely), or if the screws aren't
> galvanized, being in an area where road spray could cause some rust to
> form?? Maybe I should take the screws out and use new galvanized ones with
> silicone??? Ideas?? Comments??

Not knowing the location, and wheel/tire details, I would guess that the
tire won't hit them.

I would drill out the holes, and replace the screws with a stainless
screw/large washer/locknut combo, glopped with silicone to cover any bare
metal and to seal the holes. Of course, I'm no rocket scientist, oh
wait, I am! (sorry, too hard to resist).

James Landess
Sunnyvale, CA (where stainless steel doesn't rust!)