RE: External Fuel Filter

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@husc.HARVARD.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 24 1996 - 19:42:45 EDT

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Ron Rader wrote:

> The original poster mentioned that he had 3 lines coming from
> the tank. I believe that he was talking about a '94.
Sorry folks, I made another mistake. the 3rd line was a brake line. One
line goes to the Evapoative cannister on the passenger side front the other
goes to the middle of the drivers side fuel rail which connects to the
passanger side by another tube.
> >There is a
> >pressure relief valve in the tank. The pump makes continuous pressure and
> >the valve 'bleeds' off what isn't needed. Only one line goes to the
> >engine.

The other line connects to the evaporative cannister to the tank. Two
other lines connect to the engine from the cannister.
> Your info makes perfect sense considering the fuel pump in the '94-
> and-later integrated fuel module (why the heck would they route a
> return line AWAY from the pump? ;). Wasn't the original poster talking
> about a '94? Were there further changes in the fuel delivery system
> on the '95?
>
> Only one line goes to the engine, but does only one line come out of
> the tank? I have not taken a close look at my tank, since I hope
> to retrofit a secondary filter in the engine compartment, space
> allowing.
It seems there is some space on my drivers side fire wall to the center
of the truck to the left of the brake diaphram. This would be near the
original route of the gas line to the fuel rail. I agree that the better
location for the filter would be in the engine compartment. I am still
referring to the '94.

> Ron

1994 Dakota 5.2l 5 speed (R/T in progress)
Bill Countie
e-mail wgcount@husc7.harvard.edu