Noisy fan dies, pealing pain...

From: Sam (sam_p@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 1996 - 12:23:07 EDT

    I couldn't resist. It sounds like a bad news headline!

>Besides telling the the computer the truck is moving it also provides the
>signal for total milage that is stored in the computer. In the case of my
>Daytona the Trip Computer uses the signal to calculate the mpg, average
>speed and trip distance functions. Also on my Daytona there is no speedo
>cable (even though it is analog) the dash is totally electronic (I have
>never checked on the Dakota).
>
>Dave Clement

    The Dakota does have some sort of cable, my dealer needed to replace the
plastic gear that drives it 2 times to get the speedo accurate (a factory goof
up).

    I have a few questions about error codes:

    1) How do you read them (I know something about ign. on/off and watch the
       check eng. light, etc.)???

    2) When you switch SBEC units do the error codes (if any) clear themselves?

    Also, I am going on a trip to Tucson AZ this Friday, and thought I would do a
play by play of the trip w/mileage/mph figures with my Dakota equipt the way it
is, so you can see how my modifications have affected mileage (if any).

    I will be running 67-70 (2400-2450 rpm w/3.90 gearing) for ecconomy, my stock
SBEC on regular unleaded gas. K&N FIPK air cleaner w/fresh air snorkle attached
to side of filter (home brew using stock inlet). Ultra FLO-3" CAT back exhaust,
2 passengers, and a Gem Top Shell.

    On my last trip (1 month ago), running at 77 mph average for 5.5 hrs (423
miles), I averaged 14.9 mpg, using 28.42 gallons of regular unleaded. This was
with mild-to heavy headwinds both directions (east/west), 85 F. temp, and AC on.
Running a 77 mph average, I did run at 80 mph from Tucson to Yuma on cruise
non-stop (3 hrs. 19 minutes, where the legal max speed limit is 75 mph).

    My return trip from Tucson to Yuma will be around 60 mph max. as we are
moving some friend's stuff, and they have a 5th wheel in tow...So mileage figures
for that part of the trip might be a lot higher (18-19 mpg).

    I have run my Mopar Perf. SBEC from Yuma to San Diego, getting 15.5 mpg @ 72
mph average (a little increase from 14.9 with stock SBEC, but money is an issue
when dealing with trips! So stock SBEC for long trips is recommended!)

    Anyway, any input on the Error Codes would be helpful...and if anyone has any
questions about Dodge Dakota's, ask away (both to me and the Dakota Mailing
List).

    To date I have logged 124500 miles combined with my old '91 (90000 miles) LE
V8, and '95 (34500 miles, only 1500 left on warranty!!! I hope SOMETHING breaks
NOW!) Both trucks, I would say the 95 is 100% better than the '91...Mainly the
drivetrain, and the secondly the fit & finish. Dealer satisfaction runs about
20% (poor) here in San Diego... I do all work on the '95 myself (except warranty
stuff)...

    If you want to here horror stories about San Diego Dealerships, let me know
and I'll publish them.

..Sam ('95 SLT Dakota CC 5.2)