RE: Noisy fan dies, pealing pain...

From: Dave_Clement-LDC009@email.mot.com
Date: Thu Jun 13 1996 - 15:25:24 EDT

To: dakota@csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu@INTERNET; sam_p@ix.netcom.com@INTERNET
From: Clement_D on Thu, Jun 13, 1996 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: Noisy fan dies, pealing pain...

From: sam_p@ix.netcom.com@INTERNET on Thu, Jun 13, 1996 1:54 PM

>>Besides telling the the computer the truck is moving it also provides the
>>signal for total milage that is stored in the computer. In the case of my
>>Daytona the Trip Computer uses the signal to calculate the mpg, average
>>speed and trip distance functions. Also on my Daytona there is no speedo
>>cable (even though it is analog) the dash is totally electronic (I have
>>never checked on the Dakota).

> The Dakota does have some sort of cable, my dealer needed to replace
the
>plastic gear that drives it 2 times to get the speedo accurate (a factory
goof
>up).

The gear is actually on the bottom of the speed sensor. The number of teeth
on the gear varies depending on tire size. The FSM has a list of gears for
tire size to keep the speedo correct. The gear arrangement is used whether
you have a mechanical or electronic speedo.

> 1) How do you read them (I know something about ign. on/off and watch
the
> check eng. light, etc.)???

The codes are two digits. The check engine light will flash them out with a
short pause between digits and a longer pause between codes. The end of
message code is 55 and you will always get that one. To start the sequence
you turn the ignition on/off with out starting the engine in the following
sequence on-off-on-off-on.

> 2) When you switch SBEC units do the error codes (if any) clear
themselves?

Anytime you disconnect the battery the codes are cleared (may take several
seconds). Also anytime you disconnect the battery you will get a code 12
indicating that power had been lost. This will stay until the ignition has
been cycled on/off 20-50 times (the number of times is year dependant). Also,
 any code that is stored will clear it self if the problem goes away after
the same number of ignition cycles.

NOTE: The ABS trouble codes are obtained by shorting the diagnostic
connector to ground with the ignition on. This connector is located just
below the dash on the passenger side. It sticks out through a cutout in the
passenger cowl kick panel.

Also, The codes vary slightly from year to year and injection type so there
may be a slightly different definition for a code but it will still be
related to the same sub system. The best thing to do is get a FSM for your
year.

Dave Clement