RE: Dakota aftermarket stuff

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 22 1996 - 19:52:28 EDT

Dave Clement:
>If you are looking for a performance increase you would be better off with a
>forward facing scoop. At legal driving speeds this would be much more
>effective and would more than offset the aerodynamic penalty.

This probably isn't true. A forward-facing scoop relies on ram effect. I don't
have any aero data on a Dakota, but I think you'd have to be going well over
100 mph to overcome boundary layer effects for any reasonable-sized scoop.

At the same time, the cowl-induction is using an aero feature that's already
there (the cab) to build up a substantial pressure ridge. The cowl-facing
scoop needn't be intrusive, actually flat louvers would probably work great.

Someone willing to sacrifice their hood should cut a big round hole, mount a
ribbon at one edge, and tell us which way the ribbon points at speed. I would
guess it'd get sucked into the hole due to a vacuum underhood, but we're all
just speculating. Too bad we don't have someone from Chrysler Tech on the list.

Another complication with any scoop is the need for baffles to keep rain and
road debris from getting directly to the air filter. Probably why few factory
setups are in production.

Jim
P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
   I love lush forests, running streams, naked women, and motorcycles.
            I hunt and eat red meat, thus I'm a game manager.
 I own a fossil-guzzling truck, yet I Tread Lightly! wherever I go,
   and pick up all the trash you environmentalist city folk leave behind.
 I own and use an Evil Black Gun (or two) but I'm not a criminal.
 Paradox? No, I'm from Dakota Territory (Montana) where a man's born FREE.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-