Re: Form and function

From: TeamGTZ@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:01:15 EDT

In a message dated 96-07-19 21:03:47 EDT, KMansfie@compucom.com (KEN
MANSFIELD) writes:

>Since my opinions are formed from my experiences and
>knowledge, they are truly mine.

Righto. Me too.

>If I had $50 or $2000 or more to spend on my truck, you probably
>couldn't tell anything had been done just by looking at it (unless I
>had to change wheels to handle bigger rubber). I would not spend
>it on paint or slamming or trim pieces or smoked headlight covers
>or tassles hanging from the headliner. It would all go into the
>mechanicals for the purpose of making more power and getting
>that power to the ground. I guess I'm really more into "sleepers"
>that "flashers." To me, beauty is found in function more than
>form.

Interesting. I find beauty equally in form AND function (centerfolds aside
:) ) and like to enhance both. For this reason, I chose the Dakota as a good
"starting point" because trucks are much easier to modify, cosmetically and
mechanically, than are modern cars, IMO. The Dakota had a lot of potential,
I concluded, when I went truck shopping in 94. Good mechanicals, still could
use some beefing up; good looks, but not "sporty" or aggressive-looking
enough for me. If one mod could address both needs, all the better.
 Functionally, the 3"/4" slam improves handling by boatloads. I know I can
run circles, literally, around a similar stock truck and not drag the
underside on the street. Form-wise, it takes that truck out of the clouds
and puts it down where a sport vehicle needs to be. I have no desire or need
to ford streams and climb mountains in my truck, so why do I need to sit up
so high? Obviously, headlight covers are all about looks, but they don't
work on all vehicles, or colors. If I ever figure out how to get a photo of
my truck on the Dakota page, you'll see that it works on my truck. I cut
some white vinyl the same width as the grill "crosshairs" and extended that
line across the dark covers. When combined with painting the "eggcrate"
section of the grill black, there is a vast improvement of the front view.
 Not "flashy" at all. In fact, rather subdued. I really enjoy the
monochrome look on my truck. Except for the rims and the third brakelight,
everything is black or white. Plus, the additional lights in the air dam
more than compensate for any dimming the covers cause. The tassels really
look cool, plus they help block bright sunlight. ( ;P) Seriously, tassels
don't belong with the other mods you mentioned. I could go on about the
various merits of my mods, but that's not the point.

I understand that you might be satisfied with Dodge's decision on how the
truck should look, I however, am not. I just find it hard to resist rebuttal
when someone objectively states an opinion, especially in such a blanket
statement: "Trucks are made for this..not that." I've said for a long time
that (I think) your ride is sort of an extension of your personality, or at
least it's like your outermost layer of clothes. Obviously, a lot of people
think cars=get to work and to store, trucks=haul lumber and pull horse
trailer. I suppose I put more (or different) value on 'em though. Make any
sense? Sorry, I'm probably rambling again..........