Re: Intro/problem

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 1996 - 10:25:18 EDT

> >The dealer of course couldn't find the problem until I took it in
> >on a real hot (85+) day. He took me for a test drive and when it happened he
> >pulled over, slipped it into park and held the engine roaring away at around
> >1500 rpm.
> <snip>.
> >There is a TSB on the problem.
>
> I've heard that noise on hot days as well, and sometimes it happens when I
> start the truck up cold!. Did the having the service specified in the TSB
> done fix this problem?

We had an '88 Ford Bronco II that used to roar when it was started cold.
The problem is that the fluid in the fan clutch is very thick and the
fan clutch doesn't slip right away when the motor is started. The fan
has a high pitch and moves ALOT of air when it's directly driven. I've
heard many trucks of different makes that make a roar when they start.
The clutch is supposed to lock up when the clutch reaches its rated
temperature on a hot day. This moves more air through the radiator
and cools the motor more quickly. I've never had this happen to me
under normal driving conditions (even with A/C on). If it annoys you,
you could replace the fan clutch. Keep in mind that they are not cheap!

> jeffwynn@intrepid.net
> Harpers Ferry, WV

Any good places to four wheel near you?

-Jim.