Re: Out of steam at 115 mph

From: Gary Gellert (ggellert@junction.net)
Date: Tue Aug 06 1996 - 21:53:35 EDT

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Glenn S. Wiltse wrote:

> Well I've got a 96 with about 4,000 miles on it. It's a 4x4 318-V8 with
> 4sp Auto., club cab too... I was doing 109MPH the other day and the
> tach hadn't even hit 3 yet, and it sure didn't feel like it was out of
> steam to me. I did have a reasonably bad viberation when I hit about 100
> and a big fear of a police person seeing me going over 100, so I didn't
> stay there too long.

I know the feeling. My 92' 4x4 really shakes when it get's up there to
top speed.

> My questions are... Anyone actually hit the top end on one and care
> to tell us how it was doing, and what the speed was? Do I dare go to
> my dealer and tell him I have a bad shake above 100MPH?

Personally, I wouldn't mention it to the dealer. I took my 92 through a
radar trap doing 213 km/h which is approximately 130 mph. Fortunately
for me, it was a setup, my brother-in-law is a cop, and he knew I wanted
to see how fast I could get the truck up to. I think that if I would
have had more room, could have gotten the truck up to about 220-225 km/h,
but I had to get into the brakes to slow it down for a corner.