'92 318 4x4 with severe whine

From: Actor Troy McClure (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 1996 - 10:53:57 EDT

Hi All:

A guy in my department has a '92 4x4 Dak with 85,000 miles. He took it to the
local dealer when the rear end started shaking. The dealer replaced the
u-joints and balanced the drive shaft. The shaking went away but now the rear
end has a pronounced whine that rises in pitch with the MPH. It starts about
40 mph and sings higher and louder as you accelerate. The whining stops if you
let off the gas and let the truck cost or keep a light foot on the pedal to
hold your speed on the highway. This truck is an automatic.

I'm thinking the gears are monkeyed-up now but I don't know how to check them.
Is it possible to take the diff. cover off and look for unusual wear patterns?
Can't the guys at the dealership check the angle of the gears to see if things
fit right? I saw a procedure in one of the car rags that shows a guy using a
colored dye on the gear teeth to check for the proper fit and angle.

Anyone else have a Dakota that sings to them at highway speeds? (No, it is not
noise from the tires).

Thanks.

-Scott