Was Re Lack of power

From: Michael Watts (mwatts@cris.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 22:29:37 EST

Some of original post snipped

> If you aren't getting 53, 62 or 63 fault codes it's probably not the
SBEC,
> and the Mopar SBEC doesn't carry any warranty (I think). When my '92 was
> acting up, backfiring, popping and acting up at indeterminate times and
> places; it turned out to be the distributor. There was never any
> explanation about what the problem was with the distirbutor (the body,
> shaft and bushing were all replaced, it had a new cap, rotor and switch)
> except that the timing was "jumping around".
> Good luck!
>
> Larry Elliott

Don't try and set timing with the (Distributor)Timing is controlled by
the computer.
Distributors on Jeeps since 86 and Dodge trucks since 92 do not have
anything to do with timing. Jeeps and Dodge trucks of the above years
use the Distributor for Fuel injector synchronization and if you turn
the distributor body some of these will occur including surging, light
bucking, stalling,stumble,chuggle,hesitation,poor idle and intermitant
misfiring.Many of the above occur at operating temp above 2000 rpm. Pop
off the cap and look inside under the hall effect plate. All you will
see is a half-moon shaped reluctor. It tells the ECU where pistons 1 and
6 are to help with injector firing. Turning the distributor throws the
ECU a curve.If you are sure the distributor was moved It will take a
distributor reindexing to get everything synched up again.
Anytime you need to replace a distributor on one of these engines it has
to be properly indexed.I can scan and post to the list procedure for
indexing if you are interested it is about a page and a half long

Mike