Re: 5spd-sure grip

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 1996 - 09:28:19 EST

> Makes you want to drool, doesn't it?!?! I have a similar setup to you
('95
>SLT club cab, V8, 5spd-sure g., MP SBEC, Ultra-Flo 3" exhaust, and FIPK...) I
>drove yesterday with 1/4 full tank, a buddy of mine in the passenger seat,
my 175#
>GEM TOP shell on my truck... Did 0-60 in 7.5 seconds with limited traction
in 1st
>gear...(I didn't side step the clutch, but rather feathered it to keep the
R's up
>before I hammered down)... We did 3 runs and 7.0 was my objective, but
couldn't
>get the truck to hook up on the street I was on...
>
> The headers are next!! But I am afraid on how LOUD my truck will be
then...

> I was running 92 Octane and 104+ Super Octane boost...Shifting @ 5000
rpm 1st,
>2nd, then 3rd was 60 mph...(rpm unknown, I was watching the speedo & my
friend had
>the stop watch).
>
> Oh yeah, I had my 6' work ladder that weighs about 45# in the bed too!!:)
>

> ...Sam '95 SLT

Did your truck come standard with "sure grip diff" I could'nt find one in
Austin when I bought mine. If you wanted limited slip you had to buy the
automatic with the 3.90. Oh well, The diff is what I am currently saving
up for. Has anyone had any practice installing one? I have no idea what it
will take. But I would be willing to try, So far the cheapest place I have
found that will do it for me wants $700. Wow! The parts cost $300. So it
makes me wonder how difficult it is... Thats a lot of labor...
Also I have heard three different names for the differential. "Limited
slip","Sure Grip" and "Brute strength posi" by Auburn. Are these all
basically the same thing??

Won't do any good to buy anymore go fast parts however till I can make it go
forward...

Alan 94,V8,SLT,5spd,MP SBEC,Flowmaster (work in progress)