Re: Front end loose, rattles

From: Alan (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 1996 - 16:40:50 EST

KEN MANSFIELD wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone dealt with front-end looseness or low rattling
> when going over uneven roads or RR tracks?

Well Ken, I have been fighting this for quite some time. I have a 94 and
started having the same type of problem starting at 30,000 or so. The
first couple of trips got me "can't recreate the problem". I even road
with the so called "front end man" and he said he could'nt feel it
either, even though I could feel it through the floorboard on the
passenger side. Then an amazing thing happened, the factory warranty ran
out. I decided to take it back in on the extended warranty for the same
problem, low and behold they found and diagnosed the problem, Slack in
the steering column and lower steering linkage. Which both would need to
be replaced. They called me back at work to give me the good news that
my extended warranty service (which I purchased through the dealer at
time of sale) would pay for the lower steering linkage $263.00, but that
they would not cover the steering column $650.00. Needless to say I was
a bit upset with this news so I called the warranty service to raise
hell. They told me that if it was not specifically listed in the
contract, therefore would not be covered. They have not heard the last
of this for sure. I will never buy an extended warranty again.
I am going to try and get the dealer to cough up the $650.00, since they
told me when I bought the extended warranty that it was bumper to bumper
coverage for up to 80,000 miles. I let you know what happens. I wish
you luck....

Alan 94,V8,SLT,5spd,MP SBEC,Flowmaster,SureGrip (work in progress)