Re: 5 speeds and Tires -Reply

From: Scott Lemser (SLEMSER@Compucom)
Date: Thu Dec 19 1996 - 15:39:45 EST

Scott Lemser

>>> Chris Smith <mopar@tough.com> WROTE:>>>

Most tire shops will put whatever you ask for on the truck.

Ever seen a ford probe with little bias ply tires mounted on
wide 13"
rims with spacers sticking them way outside the car? Tire
stores care
only about the sale, not about safety or wizzing away 2
years of
suspension engineering.

-Chris Smith
mopar@tough.com
(not related to Mopar or Dodge, just love their products)

Chris,
I don't mean to flame you but, Most reputable Tire Stores
DO care about which tire goes on a vehicle. In fact, in some
states it is illegal to install a tire that is rated below the
original equip. specs.
There is little or no way of stopping John Q. Idiot from
buying the wheels and tires, then going over to Uncle Cletis'
Backyard Garage and having some miscreant mount em up
and bolt em on. Places like Super Shops , NTW and
Discount Tire will sell you anything, But they normally won't
mount them or install them on your car.
If these persons were dealing with knowledgable
salepeople, they might also understand that those "way
cool, low / fat, stick outs" turn a vehicle designed with
good/sporty handling characteristics into a rolling Jello
Mold, and cause premature wear / failure to CV joints, Ball
Joints and Tie Rod ends.
I personally had turned down many big commission sales to
educate Freaks like these, and although I no longer sell
tires, don't degrade those who still do.