RE: Transmissions

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Fri Jan 10 1997 - 08:10:53 EST

Jim;
 thanks for responding. This is more info to Check. You'd think the dealer's
service dept would have checked these things (they have had the truck 5 times
in the last month) but I seriously doubt they have.

> You've had the SBEC swapped out?
Yes - the SBEC was changed ($225 p/l and no help)

> Anyway, either the SBEC is bad, the solenoid on the tranny is bad (drawing
> too much current), or (and I suspect this is the culprit) the wiring -
> likely the grounding - is bad (intermittent).

Do ya think if it was a grounding problem, that it would be that
temperature sensitive? Could be I guess...

> Try disconnecting the solenoid connection and rigging it up to a light you
> can bring into the cab, and see if the power supplied to the solenoid is
> being interrupted, or is steady. If it's steady, you have a bad solenoid
> or a bad ground

Is this solenoid ON the tranny itself? This is a good idea and I definitely
will try this. I think if this is a wiring problem, I can really GIVE IT
to the Service dept at the dealer. They are already into me for more than $350

> You might also want to trace through the wiring harness diagrams and see
> if it's possible to jumper around the OD lockout switch.

two questions-
1) is this OD lockout switch on the tranny?
2) does this disable OD or does this disable the OD lockout switch?

The reason I am asking about disabling the OD is because I can do that
with the switch in the cab. When I do turn OD off, the Tranny does _not_
switch between 3rd and 4th - so its not just a tranny shifting problem -
just a OD problem. I really should check the OD off wiring, maybe thats
whats turning on and off (although the OD OFF light (on the switch) does not
illuminate when this problem occurs)
Thank again for any and all responses!

-Rick Mahoney
'90 4x4 3.9L Automatic (A500) (about to be a trade in)
Love the truck - Hate the dealer