Re: 97 Dakota

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 15:40:55 EST

At 09:33 AM 1/11/97 EST, you wrote:
>Jim McBride asked in my last post, after I mentioned that my '90 Dak
>was about to be trade-in Bait:
>>
>> You are going to trade up to a '97 aren't you?
>>
>Well - heres the poop regarding what Edmunds has to say about the '97
>Dakota:
>
>ChryCo really missed the Boat on this one. They had a chance to make the
>BEST truck of the year, but they blew it in three ways:
>
>1) They did not put a passenger side Airbag Cutoff switch in.
> - I have a Baby girl and a Car Seat may or may not (I haven't checked)
> fit in the back seat of the cab. If it doesn't - I cant buy it. *No
> car seats in the front seat because of the Airbag*
>2) The '97 Dakota still does not meet 1999 Side Impact Safety Stds.
> - I realize they don't have to yet, but I do thinks safety counts for
> something and most vehicles DO now meet this standard.
>3) There is no third door on the extended Cabs.
> - They definitely shoulda coulda woulda put the third door on the
> cab. I mean After all ChyrCo did invent the 2nd Sliding door on the
> back of Mini vans, How much trouble would it have been to put a 3rd
> door on the Daks?
>
>With these comments, I think I might just wait and see what the '98
>model brings! Whatdoyouallthink?
>-Rick

Rick:

If that's all you can find to complain about, you've just confirmed that the
97 Dakota is a pretty good truck!

1. Get your mechanic to disconnect the passenger airbag if your child seat
won't fit the back.
   A passenger side airbag is a safety feature that most people want.
2. Drive carefully, the safety improvements are significant over older pickups.
3. Buy a Chev .... you don't need a 3rd door, these things arem't crewcabs.

I've had mine for three months and love it. A friend of mine kept putting
off buying a new computer because next year's would always be better .... he
still doesn't have a computer.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com
Victoria, British Columbia