Re: Fuel Burning (please kill this thread!)

From: Lee Jacobs (LJacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 15:35:06 EST

In message <9701232002.AA05887@triumph.adn.alcatel.com> James Babcock writes:
> I just can't ignore this...but I'm worried about a flame war.
> This is absurd. I hope that you realize that you'd probably end
> up distilling your own gasoline or paying for it through the nose
> if anarchy prevailed. Take a look at National Geographic sometime
> for articles about what happens when the environment is ignored.
> Parts of Russia and even Mexico City are so bad that kids can't
> run free since they can't get a deep breath of fresh air.
> Good government is the only solution. Our government isn't perfect
> by any means, but it is the best on earth. Love it or leave it.
>
> -Jim.

No flame war here, but I've been overseas and have to state the following:

What vehicles do you think run cleaner: people who love their trucks and
take care of them, or those that just use their vehicles as transportation
(and therefore neglect maintenance, looks, etc...).
I'd much rather live in a country of hot rods than a country of old
toyota corrola's.

I'm only stating this because I've been through a lot of hassles running
max-wedge 426's in 70-74 e-bodies. Colorado government, as any big city
government, is forcing us old car buffs to abandon hope and give in.
Meanwhile, the rusted out, poorly maintained family sedans seem to keep
getting their emmisions passed though they're belching out quantities
of black (lean carb) and blue (oil). Look around, you'll see what I mean.
FYI: my engines were __clean__ and way below emmision levels. They
just don't pass because I don't like things like AIR pumps, EGR valves,
batteries, alternators, and etc... <grin>.
Colorado is *trying* to get it right (they now have visual emmision
tests for particulates) but like a lot of states, they've got a long
way to go.

You'll also find that most of the pollution overseas is coming from
unregulated power and production plants. In that case, yes, I'm
glad America is as strict as it is. But notice how weak the US
has become in production, now our main export is services. No wonder
the american dollar is losing ground.

Who wins, who loses ? I can't say. I will say the earth will be
around a lot longer than we will, however. It might be different,
but it will go on. We, on the other hand ....

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ University of Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.