Re: pecking noise

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 1997 - 08:05:18 EST

Hi Ronnie.

I also have the '87 3.9 4WD. My engine has only 35K on it, but it's
not showing any of the problems that you describe. I run on regular
unleaded (87 octane) without any pinging. For starters, I'd suggest
that you try a compression test. That will rule out rings and valves.
Email me if you want to know details.

If the noise is very sharp and is louder from the top of the
engine than from below, I would say that you have one or
more bad lifters. I have one that's going bad. It pecks for
about 5 minutes after a cold start. Keep in mind
that you should replace the cam shaft if you do the lifters. If you
don't, the cam will not last long.

If the noise is louder from below and more pronounced during acceleration,
it might be wrist pins or bearings. Bottom end problems at 75K
are unlikely if you have kept the oil changed.

You are right about the performance. It's hard to believe that this
was the largest stock motor in '87. I have the long bed with the
2000lb payload package. It's usable, but not as fun as a sports car.

-Jim.

--
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   email: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com
Alcatel Data Networks                   WWW: http://www.adn.alcatel.com