Re: Dakota Tires

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 23:10:21 EST

Frank Ball wrote:

> I'm really amazed at the wide tires some of you guys are putting on the
> stock 6" rims. Aren't they really wiggley side to side and very
> pinched? Kuk: the sticker on the door frame says my predator wheels
> are 6", not 6.5".
>
> Using a wider rim for the same tire will cause the tire to be shifted
> outwards compared to the stock rims. Has anybody tried 245/60-15 tires
> with 8" rims? All the roads around here are very winding and handling
> counts. Also will 235/15 tires with chains clear on a 2WD?

I watched Discount tire mount my 255/60/15s on the stock 6" predator
wheels. They went on slick as a whistle and the bulge is not excessive.
In fact, my friends didn't even notice I had changed tires until I told
them and no, they are not "squishy" in the corners.Speed rated tires
have considerably stiffer sidewalls so they don't move around much
compared to R rated ones. You want to talk squishy, those Invictas were
very squishy. Having been in the tire business before, I know I could
get more out of them with bigger rims but I have probably taken
advantage of 90% of the performance gain. The question is are you
willing to pay 700+ dollars to get the other 10% by going to bigger
alloy wheels?? If so, more power to you and your wallet. Regards

Andre