Re[4]: Knock Detector on 97 Dakota

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 16:26:00 EST

     I know exactly what noise you're talkin' about. I especially notice
     it if I'm idling along in a lower gear than I need to be (2000+ rpm).
     I about drove myself nuts thinkin' my valves were out of adjustment.
     I kept stickin' my head under the hood and revvin' the motor but it
     never sounded as loud as when I'm in the cab. I never actually
     thought of pinging 'cause it wasn't really under 'load' and the
     different octanes made no difference. What I think it is is injector
     chatter. I thought I had heard the same type of noise in my wife's
     '93 S10 with the CPI 4.3L. Sure enought when I drove her truck the
     noise was there (much quieter due to the heavy insulation like your
     SLT) but still there. You wouldn't here it in a regular throttle body
     type arrangement but the '97's (I'm unfamiliar with the fuel delivery
     systems on the older models) are Multi-Point fuel injection and the
     throttle body is dry flow only. I thought someone here had mentioned
     injector chatter before but I could be wrong. I'm not sure where I
     heard the term but I know it was in reference the Magnum motor. Maybe
     you could run it by your dealer and see what the mechanics think.

     sean
     '97 black 318/5sp/3.55SG
     sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com