Re: Re[4]: Knock Detector on 97 Dakota

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 18:20:43 EST

At 05:26 PM 2/20/97 EDT, you wrote:
> I know exactly what noise you're talkin' about. I especially notice
> it if I'm idling along in a lower gear than I need to be (2000+ rpm).
> I about drove myself nuts thinkin' my valves were out of adjustment.
> I kept stickin' my head under the hood and revvin' the motor but it
> never sounded as loud as when I'm in the cab. I never actually
> thought of pinging 'cause it wasn't really under 'load' and the
> different octanes made no difference. What I think it is is injector
> chatter. I thought I had heard the same type of noise in my wife's
> '93 S10 with the CPI 4.3L. Sure enought when I drove her truck the
> noise was there (much quieter due to the heavy insulation like your
> SLT) but still there. You wouldn't here it in a regular throttle body
> type arrangement but the '97's (I'm unfamiliar with the fuel delivery
> systems on the older models) are Multi-Point fuel injection and the
> throttle body is dry flow only. I thought someone here had mentioned
> injector chatter before but I could be wrong. I'm not sure where I
> heard the term but I know it was in reference the Magnum motor. Maybe
> you could run it by your dealer and see what the mechanics think.
>
> sean
> '97 black 318/5sp/3.55SG
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Sean:

I'm going to print this out and give it to my wife ... that's exactly what I
did!

Having an automatic, unless I decide to push a bit, it's usually running
under 2000 rpm. My old 1978 truck had a 360 V8 (propane and higher
compression) and it's exhaust got much more noticable once I wound it up.
But then, it only had the carpet and the floorboards, nothing else to deaden
the sound. This is my first experience with the sounds from multi-point
fuel injection.

I glad to hear that somebody else hears the same noises as me. Welcome to
the fuss-arse club :).

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia