Re: FW: Back to the gas question... -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 22:09:29 EST

mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com wrote:

> Does this mean that their is AI (artificial Intelligence) in these
> computers and that they actually learn? I thought that there were
engine
> Characteristic PROMS (read that READ ONLY MEMORY) in the SBEC. and,

PROM stands for Programmable Read Only Memory. Read Only Memory only
means that when the power gets shut off from the chip that it retains
it's memory, and in the case of the automobile computers, they are
programmable sort-of anytime, anywhere, and they don't loose their
memory. Think of it this way. There are two distinctly different
kind of memory chips. You've got ROM chips, which I have described
above, and you have RAM chips, which stands for Random Access Memory.
 Basically, when you shut the juice off to them (RAM chips), they go
stupid. They don't retain any memory on them when there is no power
going to them. Anybody ever been doing something on the computer and
the power go off? Then, when it came back on the thing you were
working on wasn't on the screen anymore? Well, whatever you were
doing was written to RAM chips, so when the power shut off, boom,
your work's gone. BUT, even when the power is shut off to your
computer for days, it will still work because of the ROM chips inside
it which are programmed to do certain things.

- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd, Computer Info. Systems and Accounting
major(s) (and I hate doing taxes)
s0042745@cedarville.edu