Re: Back to the gas question...

From: Jamie May (jmay@premier.net)
Date: Sat Feb 22 1997 - 20:50:27 EST

I have a '93, 3.9L V-6, automatic 53600m. Back in July 96 my truck
(w/48400m)started pinging mostly when I put even just a slight load on
it. Or you could say that the engine would clatter on acceleration.
Also I noticed a loss of power. Definetly did not have the power it did
when new. Took it to the dealer.

Problem: The bushing on the shaft that goes from the distributer
          down into the engine was worn out causing the shaft to
          wabble and throw off the timing.
They replaced the distributor, shaft, and bushing. Problem solved.

They also replaced the timing chain with a double roller chain.
Noisy timing chains are a common problem with the V-6s but replacing
this chain may be only a temporary fix. This dealer has had
several come back twice with the same problem-noisy timing chain.
Chrysler is now working on a perminent fix for the timing chain.
problem. (anyway that is what my brother said. He is one of the
mechanics at this dealership.)

Just thought I'd share this with you.
Jamie