Re: timing 2

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 23:30:56 EST

Adjusted my timing by turning the dist. the other day. I rotated mine
counter clockwise to releive some of the detonation. It seems to have
taken 99% of the det. out! I can't tell for sure because the weather is
very wet right now and humidity is in the 90% range. Hopefully when
things dry out and the temp goes back up the pinging will not return.

One thing about doing this is that you do not want to turn the dist. too
far. I adjusted mine to far and when I started the truck it started,
raced to about 1500 rpms, and then dropped to 0 and died. Sounded
terrible (clattered like a diesle) Moved it back and it started fine
and idled as it should. The next day I tried out the new setting on the
way to school and everything felt fine, a little reduction in power but
that's to be expected. I tried WOT from 70mph and the rpms jumped up
like normal but the engine made a TERRIBLE sound like metal grinding
metal and I noticed a drop in power (like the Dakota was wincing at the
pain). I let off the gas and the sound immediately stopped. I know
this was caused by my adjusting the timing too far back. I rotated the
dist. clockwise a bit and that eliminated the sound, also got little
more power back and everything's fine again. But I still don't know
what the sound was. Could someone who is more educated on timing offer
an explanation of what was occurring?

And NATURALLY when I was having this problem, a white beat-up 5.0 with
blue smoke trail pulls up and wants to race. I tried to do it without
making the noise but could only manage about 85... I bet that guy is
bragging to all his buddies about how wimpy those v-8 Dakotas are. I
just better not see him again :) ...

--
-
Michael Clark        mike@snakebite.com