Re: timing 2

From: Michael L Watts (mwatts@cris.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 06:31:50 EST

Michael Clark wrote:

> Adjusted my timing by turning the distr. the other day. I rotated mine
> counter clockwise to relieve some of the detonation. It seems to have
> taken 99% of the det. out! I can't tell for sure because the weather is
> very wet right now and humidity is in the 90% range. Hopefully when
> things dry out and the temp goes back up the pinging will not return.
>
> One thing about doing this is that you do not want to turn the distr. too
> far. I adjusted mine to far and when I started the truck it started,
> raced to about 1500 rpms, and then dropped to 0 and died. Sounded
> terrible (clattered like a diesel) Moved it back and it started fine
> and idled as it should. The next day I tried out the new setting on the
> way to school and everything felt fine, a little reduction in power but
> that's to be expected. I tried WOT from 70mph and the rpms jumped up
> like normal but the engine made a TERRIBLE sound like metal grinding
> metal and I noticed a drop in power (like the Dakota was wincing at the
> pain). I let off the gas and the sound immediately stopped. I know
> this was caused by my adjusting the timing too far back. I rotated the
> dist. clockwise a bit and that eliminated the sound, also got little
> more power back and everything's fine again. But I still don't know
> what the sound was. Could someone who is more educated on timing offer
> an explanation of what was occurring?

The distributor on a late model Chrysler 5.2/5.9 does not control
timing, Timing is controlled by the computer which picks it signal of
the fly wheel. When you loosen the distributor housing and turn it, you
are messing with the fuel injection synchronization. After changing
this you need to visit your technition to have your distributor
reindexed to get it back where it was.