Re: K&N FIPK on a 96 V-8

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@king.cts.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 11:23:59 EST

At 08:41 AM 2/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I was the lucky high-bidder for Karl Kromer's FIPK.
>
>I'm sure there will be no problem putting it on a 96, but
>thought I would throw it out here for comments / experiences /
>general knowledge.
>
>Does anyone know that the 95 and 96 are similar enough that
>it would work (K&N says applications fit 92-95 , and leave out
>the 96 - is this due to C.A.R.B. / OBDII ?).
>
>Kuk - congrats on your new purchase, is it a stage II ?
> I hope you stick with the list (I say with self greed)
> because you've been a valuable asset to us. My
> first car was a 70 GS455 (automatic)
> Enjoy and best of luck !!
>
>Karl - Check's in the mail.
>
>Lee Jacobs / 96 SLT CC 4x4 5spd Flame Red and Ready !
>
> __

        Here's the scoop... CALL K&N and talk to Regina.. They are in
the 909 area code (call information 555-1212 to get the number, I don't
have it with me).

        From what I have heard it is the OBDII stuff... The people with
the '96 Daks. are kinda screwed because of the OBDII, and the fact that
most all of the OBDII legal developement stuff is happening on the '97
Dakotas!!! (See trucking magazine for the Shootout with the '97 dakota
in there)... This happened to me with my '91 V8 (Premagnum) engine...

        You CAN put an K&N FIPK on the '96, just don't try to smog it
with it on... You can swap the FIPK out and put stock one back on in
15 minutes, so that's an option... I had trouble getting my '95 smogged
with the FIPK, but a call to K&N (and spoke with Regina), and it was
taken care of.

        Problem (not really a problem) now is I am going to get the smog
done this week, and I now have Doug Thorley headers on too; The guy at
the smog station will probably flip!

        ..Sam '95 SLT