Re: Tranny Problem

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Fri Feb 28 1997 - 08:15:00 EST

and... David McFadden <dbm49@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The speed sensor also controls idle on the '93 V-6. Sooo, your first
> clue that the O/D isn't going to be working is when you first notice
> that the motor won't idle at stop signs or after hard cornering - just
> wants to die. Check your wiring diagram.

just some added experience in this department
Subject: '90 4x4 3.9L Auto (A500)
-MY OD was very intermittant, In and out constantly. After several trips
(and about $350 in Shotgun attempts to fix the Prob), it finally appears
that my OD prob is fixed. The Initial diagnosis said that the SBEC was bad
then other components, to make a long story short the TPS was changed and
this supposedly corrected the prob. But at the same time they changed the
TPS they also changed the Fluid and at my insistance they opened the tranny
and checked the Fluid flow to the OD gears. This is at the back (tail)
section of the tranny and is subject to poor fluid flow.
But just to verify what Dave said about the Speed Sensor, I was having
idle probs also and _I think_ that they changed the speed sensor also.
They didn't tell me this but the SS looks new! They didn't charge me for
it so I didn't care. I think they figured they 'owed' me this much for
fleecing me into parts i did'nt need.
Main point: According to the dealer- there are about 37 thousand parts
on the Dak and about 36 thousand can cause the OD prob! I'm just glad
I didn't have to pay for all of them prior to the TPS change.
BTW-I had NO transmission related Codes when I ran the test and the TPS
reported 'Good' with the DRB tester.
Good luck to any and all with OD probs

-rICK (my kingdom for a 5 speed) M.
'90 4x4 3.9L Auto(A500)