Re: Coolant smell

From: Tom McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Wed Mar 05 1997 - 08:49:01 EST

> When I had it in for the initial brake
> work I complained of a coolant smell coming from the vents and heat
> ducts and told the service guy it was probably the heater core. When
> I picked up the truck they said they couldn't find anything. The
> smell remained. I took it in again and found that they had only
> looked at hoses for visible leaks. This time they put it on a 10lb.
> pressure test for 45 minutes. No pressure drop. This would indicate
> no leaks.

Sean,
        I have a '96 SLT Club Cab, 5.2L, Automatic, 3.55 sure-grip, that has
the same odor. I have had my truck for almost a year now. The odor was
not present when purchased and only showed up around last November. I
complained to two different dealerships. Both checked it out, said
there was no leak so therefore nothing was wrong. Mine is more
noticeable in the morning when the engine is still warming up and you
have the defrosters on. I was hoping the %^^&%$@# heater core would go
so I can force them to fix it.

> I'm reading to just fix this damn thing myself.

I know what you mean. I am going to take my Dak to the dealer and leave
it there until they find the problem. Of course I'll get one of their
courtesy cars.

> Anyone had any problems with warranty
> work in the past. Does sreamin' yer head off in the dealership get
> anything done? I'm ready to go down there and have a fit if that's
> what it takes. If I didn't love the truck so much I'd tell 'em where
> they could stick it. Any suggestions?

I believe that most dealerships don't care about the customer after the
sale. The sales person will practically bend over backwards to sell you
a vehicle. Then take it to the service area and if it is a warranty
problem, good luck getting it fixed (unless is an obvious problem). Not
if you want to pay for the repairs, the'll do what ever you want!

I have complained about the way the transmission shifts, the seatbelt
that pins you to the seat on hard accelleration, the odor of antifreeze
several times! There response is either that is way it is, or I can't
find anything wrong!

The only option to you is to try another dealer (good luck) or to call
the Zone office that is responsible for that dealership. Keep on them,
as they are slippery too! (I got one dealers service manager demoted!
:)

Good Luck!

Tom McCabe
'96 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab, 5.2L, Auto, 2Wd, 3.55 SG
'89 Chrysler Lebaron GTC, 2.2L Turbo II (intercooled), 5 Spd