Re: Re[2]: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 18:48:19 EST

<< I hope I didn't tick you off by my comments. >>

Hell no, jsut didn't make sense to me. My view, based on what I know and have
seen at the strip, is that the shifting of the 5 speeds has way too much hit
and miss. If you can get a 99% hit rate with the 5 speed from the average and
even above average person then I would maybe sway to 5 speed. Plus how much
is lost in the actual 5 speed shifting (I know all you guys are faster than
greased lightning) ? Side note: stock valve train, power shift at ? 5500 ?
revs to what at shift? Revs into valve floating range? Revs into rev limiter
? Engine blubbers and how much is lost? Automatic you hold it to the floor
and badda pee badda paa badda ping and your done, you either won or lost, no
excuses and anyone can do it. The best I ran without NOS was 14.96, I let my
son make a couple of runs (Didn't torque it up and used right foot on brake)
and ran 15.05, another friend same day made a run with it and 15.07. Let
anyone jump in the 5 speed and see what happens. Unless you are going into
moderate modifications and want the challenge of the ginding gears and missed
shifts then the auto would be the better choice. My 2 cents, but I love to be
challenged, I am very open minded and appreciate input, if there is a better
choice in anything I'm game, if cost effective.

<<I would eventually like to play with
     nitrous a bit and was leaning towards the auto but I think I figured
     out how to "foolproof" it for use with the stick. >>

How? Maybe wire a grind detector in series with the WOT switch?? Ha Ha only
joking..

<<I'm curious if you're running an upgraded torque converter.>>

Stock, I have really done very little in modifications (lack of time and too
poor) but I think I read same article. I honestly believe that with what
little I have done and by adding BFG radial slicks and improve the fuel a
little that I could run in the mid to high 12's and for all that is still
stock, it would make my day and satisfy my goals. There is a article around
from "Chrysler Engines" mag way back using a 92 V8 Auto with similar set up
to mine but Short box that ran 12.7's with quick time tires, I have run 13.33
with stock tires and sbec.

<<Anyway, didn't mean to irritate ya' :)>>

No irritation and sorry if I seemed to be but please don't hammer the auto
until your whooopin em regularly.

Bill